Sunday 9 June 2013

Snack doily, the story

Finally i finished the doily!

I made this doily since my friend who owned a yarn store is holding a CAL for this doily. I decided to join and immediately pick one of my cotton #20 stash. The brand was "enjoy" and it was made from japan. No idea how or where did i bought it.

First glance was ok and immediately casted on, from the center. Which is a big mistake. I should start from the edge. I was insisting that i still can manage (which i think is true), but realized after making the center and 2 edgings, i will not make it to the end. So i stopped while trying to remember where did i buy the yarn.

That was april, and near to end of may, i am yet to find the yarn. So i decided to use a new yarn, which i bought 2 balls, assuming it was enough. Now i was starting from the edge, and combine the second edge, but realized there are mistakes within the edge itself. So i stopped again and restart on 27 may.

Knowing the mistakes now (hey, i did twice already), so i decided to make 5 independent edges and combined later. That way proven to be faster. I finished crocheting the body by 4 june, incorporating the center and then go to the circular edge with picots. Finished in 3 days since i forgot to bring my needles to office and late nights, my sister keeps bugging me.



As mentioned on my previous post, i found out that i left one stitch during combining. So, i made some adjustments and hoping that people will not notice. It still looks ok, just a bit off centered on the binding part.

Blocking:
Washing in normal detergent and rinse. Soak in 1 teaspoon of starch, added with just enough warm water to dissolve and just enough cold water to soak. No rinse and bloat the excess water using towel and start to pin out. 



So, after the blocking, here's the result.


The result is still create a little drape, better than i thought. I must learn better techniques in blocking circular shape, i am really bad in this, i think my doily is not fully "circle". Realized that i missed 1 set of picot in one place and another, and then realized that some part was blocked in an overlapped manner. So... Yes, it's not a perfect circle. I may need to buy a fabric with measurement grid on it. 

Anyhow... It was a pleasant crochet. Was surprised that actually it came out quicker than i thought. And then the result was better than i thought. My first time of doing a joining in doily. Feeling a bit annoyed that the chart did not chart the steps of crocheting (or they did, but i dont know japanese). But all in all, this is a great break from knitting shawls.

Now i am back with my expanded try out of a shawl. Hopefully this will work. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? suggestions? encouragements? comments? critiques? or ramblings?

 
Template by suckmylolly.com