Friday 14 August 2015

Recipe: Green Bean Soup

Actually, I promised myself not to write recipes as it is so not my kind of thing (according to my dear sister and mother). But I found out that I lost a lot of my notes over the year... so I figured out that maybe I should just write it down here.

So... let me state my disclaimer: I am not a good cook. The recipe(s) I am sharing is merely my raw calculation, definitely not a guarantee to make the result good. So... you are at your own risk, basically.

As I am currently sick, and as a single living alone, I had to cook for myself, regardless. Utilizing my lovely Sanken Rice Cooker, my idea of ideal cooking is that I can throw everything into that rice cooker and it will cook just find when I leave it. Few months ago, I tried to find some recipes that I can just throw in, and this is my fave when I feel weak to cook. And, it's friendly to my angry belly.

blablabla, So here's the recipe:

Tools:
Rice cooker, or just pot and stove
measuring cup
spatula

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of Mung bean, or green bean
2 cups of water
100 grams of palm sugar, or javanese brown sugar
ginger, maybe just a cube of 2 x 2 cm, less if you don't like gingery taste, vice versa.
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of vanilla
cinnnamon (those small barks or 1/2 tsp of the powder)
2 pcs of pandan leaves (omit if you don't have)
white sugar, if you feel so.
1/2 cup of Coconut milk

How to make it:
1. soak the mung bean in water for at least 2 hours. Use hot water if you want it faster.
2. throw in the mung bean and 2 cups of water, turn the heat on, close with a lid, wait until it is slightly simmer, and then add palm sugar , as well as ginger, salt, white sugar, pandan leaves and vanilla.
3. Two choices of the soup. Soupy style and porridge style. To get the soupy style, the mung bean should look bloomed already, and the soup should be brown colored almost translucent. Porridge style should be thick, like a normal porridge.
4. Add in the coconut milk. Wait until it simmer again, be careful so that the coconut milk stays "intact". Occasionally, stir the soup while waiting for it to simmer.
5. And you are done.

How to eat it:
Traditionally: take a small cup and eat it hot.
Alternatively: take a scoop of vanilla ice cream and eat it together with the soup/porridge. Better porridge, if I may suggest.
Summery: Freeze the soup to popsicle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? suggestions? encouragements? comments? critiques? or ramblings?

 
Template by suckmylolly.com