Saturday 11 June 2011

Craft and me

I love craft.

I'm obsessed with craft.

I remember I started to learn crafting since I was in elementary school, 3rd grade. I moved to a new school, and they have a hand craft class on their curriculum. They even separated boys and girls hand craft class. We learned how to cross-stitch (simple x kind of cross stitch, not the one that's similar to embroidery), embroidery (which I hate the most), and crochet. Amazing, isn't it? They taught me those kind of hand-craft at school. And I love it.

I think, I should thank my mom a lot about crafting. She was a tailor before becoming a chef, and being exposed to fabrics, threads, sewing machine (Singer with the manual pedal), I grew without feeling that crafting is a foreign activity. My mom also provide me tons of books at home. Mostly are encyclopedia. And what's more amazing is that the encyclopedia is in English, a language that I haven't master until I was in junior high school.
 The books were my second teachers in learning many craft, and thus, I am a very versatile crafter. I would not say that i am a craft artist. I do craft because I want to, or when I need to.

So what are the kind of crafts that I learned do so far?
Let's see...
1. cross stitch
2. embroidery (simple ones, but I have high enthusiasm on mountmellick, drawn thread - hardanger, stumpwork, etc).
3. crochet
4. knitting
5. patchwork (oh, I really hate patchwork. No hard feelings, but I hate cutting the fabrics).
6. beading - jewelry (I like stringing than weaving), 3D stuff
7. beading - embellishment
8. basket weaving
9. recycling and remake things
10. anything that I can combine with plants, like hanging pots,
11. hand made home decor
12. recently trying so hard to shape things with polymer clay
13. macrame
14. batik and dyeing

That is as much as i can say. I don't really do much eh?

If I have an opportunity to learn more craft, what would i learn? (not necessarily in order)
1. glass making. Especially making the weird shapes. I also want to learn about making glass bead.
2. decoupage. I'm not good at paper related craft. Really.
3. sewing (amazing, I am a daughter of a tailor, yet I can't sew.)
4. pattern making
5. house painting, if this is considered as craft.
6. ceramic and glass painting.
7. pottery making
8. basketry with real rattan
9. paper and book making

Craft is basically my way to express myself, and sometimes to run away from the boring life, or from work pressure. Even when I am very busy, I always squeeze some time to produce craft. Otherwise, I might be gone crazy.

Hopefully, I will be able to periodically inform you about the craft that I produced. I will also make some tutorials, and probably some ramblings or idea about craft. And although I can speak several languages, I will only use english, and indonesian language here (yes, I'm an indonesian).

Ah, and fyi, I mostly do knitting or crocheting. So don't get surprised if you find plenty of them here.

Well... that's all for craft and me.  Stay tuned, and keep in touch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? suggestions? encouragements? comments? critiques? or ramblings?

 
Template by suckmylolly.com